POWER – Off Grid System
YES -> cell phone chargers, battery chargers, portable PCs, tablets etc.
YES -> LED lights, lamps
YES -> digital / small sound systems with built-in amplifiers
NO -> Hairdryers
NO -> electrical appliances that contain their own heating elements e.g. kettles.
NO -> appliances drawing in excess of 1000 watts (incl. energy spike phases).
NO -> sound systems containing separate amplifiers and powerful speakers
NO -> power tools
NO -> The Dishwasher and Washing machine are operated by Staff using a different water system.
- Two gas plates for cooking and boiling water in kitchen. Canisters located in cupboard underneath and should be full and open when you arrive.
BRAAI and FIREPLACES
- Rooikrans wood is located in the wood store nearest to the braai area
- Use the Large, round braai on the deck for good weather
- Undercover braai – please take care to keep coals from falling on floor.
- Indoor, closed door fireplace to warm main building on cold days
- Indoor Hearth / Kaggil for cooking instead of gas option
- Locate the Fire-extinguishers and water hose (front of deck) in emergency.
- Please use general common sense and safety precautions associated with outside and indoor fires.
FRIDGES AND FREEZERS
- 2 x Fridges in kitchen area
- Bar Fridge in Stoep area – drinks and ice
DRINKING WATER: There are containers provided for the purposes of storing drinking water. The water is gathered from the khaki coloured rain water tank located behind the main building between the outside sink and plunge-pool. Please refill the containers when required – tap located at the base. For persons averse to drinking rain water you should bring bottled water or purchase in Stilbay, Heidelberg or Riversdale.
Washing and cleaning water: The main water supply is sourced from a nearby spring on the farm belonging to the Borain Family. The water passes through underground limestone giving it clear or occasionally creamy appearance. Each springs is known locally as an OOG (translated – EYE). Happy showering and bathing!
Hot Water for the Bath House (bath, shower and basins)
Your hot water is delivered by a boiler system (2 x 180 liter) located behind the washroom. The water stays hot for 24 hours after the fire has been made. For optimum performance, shower / bath directly after the water has been heated. The coals then heat the incoming water for the next day’s needs.
- Please allow our staff to operate the boiler.
- The fire should be robust and larger than the one you would cook on. Firewood is located in the wood-store closest to the boilers. Ensure that the coals are safely pushed to the back of the hearth then allow the coals to die without intervention.
- The Boiler is fitted with multiple pressure and temperature release valves to make it safe and reliable. Your fire should not emulate a raging bonfire or be fed constantly for hours on end.
- Never tamper with the plumbing including the boiler taps and other apparatus
Washroom 2 (Outdoor Showers and basin) located cottage 2
Warm to hot water on summer days from the black pipe coil located on the roof of the building. The water is cold in the mornings and on winter days.
The Plunge pool
Fill the pool from the cold tap. Do not let the water out each day – use it for a few days or longer. The pool will be drained on your departure.
Bring a boat with a small engine to:
- Navigate the river without physical exertion
- Go fishing
- Venture to the beach at the river mouth
SUV / Robust Vehicle
- The road can be driven by urban / city vehicles but the dirt roads are best ridden in a SUV of some kind. You don’t need a 4 x 4.